Fixing Notams has to be a collaborative effort. The aviation industry has been trying to tackle the Notam Problem since 1964, and to date, we have not solved it.
Why have we not solved it yet? Perhaps, because we haven’t ever tried a fully collaborative approach. This isn’t just down to ICAO, the FAA, the CAA, or any one organization. We have to do it as a group. There are a number of important groups enthusiastic about NOTAM improvement, but we have to work together.
If you want to take part, just tell us! Everyone is welcome: email@example.com
Who’s Who? BEEs and BOOs
Hey, it’s not an aviation project if we don’t have acronyms 😊
- The BEEs (Back End Experts) design the format, make the software, build the messaging systems, and understand the NOTAM structure. They also understand the politics of change.
- NOFs (Notam Offices) make the NOTAM. They choose the Q-code, write the text, and they send it to their list of subscribers, including the big NOTAM database people like EAD, FAA, DINS.
- The PROs (Notam Providers) process the NOTAM. They are mostly Flight Planning providers. They write the code to allow NOTAM to be organized, sorted, filtered.
- The BOOs (Back Office Officers) work at the airline/aircraft operator. They get the NOTAM from the Notam Provider. They decide which organizing, sorting and filtering to do. Sometimes they rewrite the NOTAM. Not all operators have a BOO.
- The Pilots (and Dispatchers) are the end users. They get the NOTAM from the PRO or from the BOO. They know if NOTAMs work or not.
Leaders of change – who is working on NOTAMs in 2023?
When we fix NOTAMs, you can thank these people below. There are probably more people working on NOTAM reform than you think! But again, collaboration is key. If you want to join the effory, just let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BEE’s: Back End Experts
- ICAO IMP/Notam Focus Group
- IFAIMA (Antonio, Fernando)
- AIS Reform Coalition/NBAA (Heidi)
- New Zealand
- Czech Republic (ANS CR, Notam Office)
- Flightkeys 5D
BOO’s: Back Office (Aircraft Operators)
- Air Canada
- Air New Zealand
Pilots (and Dispatchers)
- IFALPA (Lauri)
- OPSGROUP (Mark, Dave, Bec, Chris)
Get involved! All are welcome, email email@example.com.